Super Marathon Brothers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clicking green buttons for the sake of the world.

HomePortalCalendarWatch us liveFAQLatest imagesSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)

Go down 
+3
YouOnlySueOnce
Jefferlope
Machop90
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Machop90

Machop90

Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) Empty
PostSubject: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 4:03 am

FIRST OFF, I'd like to let you know that getting a copy of this game translated into English would force you go into piracy, and have to download an emulator to play the game, a Japanese version of the game, and then download the patch to update it. I will not post any links to these sort of things, and I do not own the game myself, as my next door neighbor was kind enough to allow me to use his version.

Alright, time to start the review!

If you're a fan of the Mother/Earthbound series, than you've probably heard of Mother 3. Although Earthbound was the only game of the series to be released outside of Japan, to this day it is considered a cult classic because of the impact it made on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. One of the reasons it is a beloved game is the many cultural references and the game's humor and light-hearted tone. (Although the final boss was very creepy) Upon American release, Earthbound didn't make as great sales in America as Nintendo expected, though eventually the sales rose and have brought this game to heights never seen again from a game of the RPG genre.

Now, that was back in 1995. In April 2006, Mother 3 was released for the Game Boy Advanced in Japan. This game took everything people loved about Earthbound and improved upon it, including the battle system, the music, the humor, and even the story. The original Mother 3 was to be released for the Nintendo 64, it never came through. Now that we've talked about the backstory, let's get to the actual game!

Gameplay

Mother 3's gameplay has vastly improved from Earthbound, with a newly upgraded battle system, which when performing basic attacks, allows you to press the (A) button in time with the music to rack up combos that can reach up to 16 hits. But this isn't as easy as one would think, since most enemies have different battle themes! In the overworld, you can hold (B) for a second, then release it to run. This is actually used to progress in some parts of the game, and to find a secret right off the bat in the prologue!Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) M3

The game sticks to the basic 4-character party theme, but some characters that join you fend for themselves in battle, although they have no HP or PP, and don't do much, albeit occasionally healing you or attacking the enemy.

The gameplay is addicting, battles are quick and smooth, and it all just works like a dream.

GAMEPLAY RATING: 9/10.

Story

Due to spoilers, I have attached spoiler tags to this section. For characters, I used their original names. Not that Mother 3 takes place about 1000 years after Earthbound.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I left a lot out in that explanation, so if you want to know the whole thing, you could look it up on YouTube.

STORY RATING: 8/10

Graphics

In this game, the graphics are VERY detailed for the system, creating a more realistic and vast world to explore.Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) MOTHER_3_Wallpaper_by_topherT

GRAPHICS RATING: 10/10

The overall rating of Mother 3.

9/10.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As mentioned, I did give a short explanation of the story, just to interest you into looking it up. Unless you REALLY want to play the game, then just stick to watching the videos on YouTube. This was the first game review I've done, and I think I've covered it pretty well.

Thanks for the read!
Back to top Go down
Jefferlope

Jefferlope

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:51 am

Nice review Machop! I tried to get into the earthbound series, but (and a lot of people are gonna hate me for saying this) I really didn't like the battle system. It was just kind of.. boring to me. Anyway, maybe I'll look it up on You Tube like you suggested.
Back to top Go down
YouOnlySueOnce

YouOnlySueOnce

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Jaco would like this game... he skips animations in Pokemon :/.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:46 pm

MaxMatsu wrote:
Jaco would like this game... he skips animations in Pokemon :/.
Only when I'm training!
Back to top Go down
lilbrokk

lilbrokk

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:12 pm

O.O y Jaco thats horrible Sad
Back to top Go down
MasterIceberg

MasterIceberg

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:03 pm

-slaps jaco for doing that-

but yeah mother 3 is actually amazing, I wish the n64dd version of it though was made.
Back to top Go down
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rozzerdog/
SkrΑlem

SkrΑlem

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Sweet review, I wan't this game by the way. In the beginning you say your against getting an emulator of this game, but isn't it nintendo's own fault for not releasing this game outside Japan? Don't get me wrong though because I'm against emulators too.
Back to top Go down
lilbrokk

lilbrokk

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 5:08 pm

That was a REALLY good game, maybe you should lock this though.
Back to top Go down
SkrΑlem

SkrΑlem

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 pm

lilbrokk wrote:
That was a REALLY good game, maybe you should lock this though.
...or else people make comments like that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)   Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA) Empty

Back to top Go down

Mother 3 Review (Nintendo GBA)
Page 1 of 1