Super Marathon Brothers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clicking green buttons for the sake of the world.

HomePortalCalendarWatch us liveFAQLatest imagesSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

English class almost ruined my day.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaco

Jaco

English class almost ruined my day. Empty
PostSubject: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 4:20 pm

WARNING: BLOG POST. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT CARE ABOUT THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION.

I'm pasting this off from another forum I posted this in.
So I might not sound like myself.
Also, I think there is a mild-profanity in there somewhere, but I'd rather not edit it out because I'm too lazy and I can't bare to re-read the horrible experience.
Quote :
So basically, we presented powerpoints in class today.
It's relatively difficult to say exactly what happened without knowing the context of the situtation. I'll do my best to explain.
The subject of my powerpoints was "Copyrights".
There was a part in my powerpoint that lists ten "myths" about copyright laws.
It went relatively smoothly from then on, until myth number 5 popped up.
"My posting was just fair use."

I elaborated this myth like this:
"Basically, fair use is when you take an article online because you have to in order to criticize it in your own article.
An example of unfair use would be taking something online because you're too lazy to come up with your own points."

Then I added this:
"Kinda like how I just copied this list of ten myths online and put it here on my powerpoint."

Big mistake, that was.

My teacher perceived the comment the wrong way. He thought I literally stole the information that I put in my powerpoint. This was NOT the case, however. I was merely making an ironic statement, I never meant to actually steal anything.
Besides, I paraphrased the myths and I cited the information on the bibliography page, so I had no idea what my teacher's deal was.

He told me to sit down in the middle of my presentation, meaning that I failed.
That small amount of morale I had BEFORE I presented was now reduced to dust. I felt humiliated and injusticed at the same time.
If I hadn't made the joke remark, I wouldn't've failed.

However, my teacher started talking to me in front of the class again. I can't remember what he said, but what he did say just allowed me to explain and defend myself from getting an F.

I told him that I was trying to be ironic by saying it. After all, a powerpoint about copyrights and I posted copyrighted info inside it?
It was fairly used, though, because I posted all the information in the darn bibiography.

Last thing I told him was that I could've made the same remark towards any other part of my slideshow. I didn't even have to say it at all. But because I did, you're going to fail me?

My teacher considered this, and ultimately let me continue my powerpoint. I'm no longer failing.
Talk about escaping quick-sand.

The outcome of this was well received by my peers.
At the end of it, my teacher told me to be careful what I say next time I present a powerpoint.
So yeah, it sucked, and I was mortified, but it was all okay in the end.

Last edited by Jaco on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
CoolGreenApple

CoolGreenApple

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Suspense!
Back to top Go down
Tetris

Tetris

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 am

it was too looooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Edited.
Re-read the OP.
Back to top Go down
Jefferlope

Jefferlope

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Think of it optimistically Jaco: It COULD have been bad, but it wasn't.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 pm

jefferlope wrote:
Think of it optimistically Jaco: It COULD have been bad, but it wasn't.
Oh, it was bad.
It just got better.
I would've preferred my teacher to NOT interrupt during my nerve-racked speech.
Back to top Go down
CoolGreenApple

CoolGreenApple

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Meh. That's not even bad. Just a mistake on the teacher's part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 12:50 am

Lol! Rookie you idiot! Oh God... I love you....
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 pm

SupaKirb wrote:
Rookie you idiot!
What did I do!?
Back to top Go down
YouOnlySueOnce

YouOnlySueOnce

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 5:27 pm

"Last thing I told him was that I could've made the same remark towards any other part of my slideshow. I didn't even have to say it at all. But because I did, you're going to fail me?"

You're lucky, that isn't what you can call a good excuse. Or your teacher is just good compared to my teachers/professors. Technically, yeah, if you added it and it was bad, you get points off, if you didn't add it and the rest is good, then you get full points. That's how it works, and maybe that's how it's going to work for you in the future.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Well, I don't entirely remember how the excuse went,
so that may or may not have been how it went.
It all happened really fast.
Besides, I still didn't do anything wrong.
I'm just glad it's all over.

Last edited by Jaco on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: English class almost ruined my day.   English class almost ruined my day. Empty

Back to top Go down

English class almost ruined my day.
Page 1 of 1