Super Marathon Brothers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clicking green buttons for the sake of the world.

HomePortalCalendarWatch us liveFAQLatest imagesSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaco

Jaco

Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? Empty
PostSubject: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Sorry for the potentially-confusing title, but I had to super-summarize my question because it just wouldn't fit in the character limit and I didn't feel like cutting off in mid-question and then continuing in the body.

Okay, you see, I am trying to catch Victini with a Premier Ball.
I have two of them in my inventory, and the feat is proving to be quite tedious and difficult.

My strategy is to weaken Victini until it's health bar is a mere sliver of red, which is quite difficult, because all my Pokémon either faint in the process if they are too weak, or knock out the Victini if it's too strong.

Once I get Victini's health down to a suitable low, I switch out to my Petilil, a Grass type, to put it to Sleep.
This is also a tedious process, as Victini either Incinerates my Petilil, which causes it to faint, or when I actually DO put Victini to Sleep, he wakes up and I have to put him to sleep again.

Sleep Powder isn't the most reliable Sleep-inducing attack. It misses a lot, and the defending Pokémon almost always wakes up too early, especially when you have switched your Sleep-inducing Pokémon out with a Pokémon that is actually weak enough to slowly wittle away at Victini's health, careful that it doesn't accidentally KO the thing.

So, when Victini is on the verge of being knocked out AND is Asleep, that's when I begin to toss out my Poké Balls out first.

In theory, throwing about ten Pokéballs at Victini will cause it to become more unwilling to resist being captured. In simpler terms, throwing enough Poké Balls at it will lower it's catch rate, thus making it a lot easier to catch. Once I have tossed sufficient amount of Poké Balls, I then begin to toss out my Premier Balls. This is the hardest part of the whole process, because the Victini might either be captured by the Poké Ball (Which isn't what I'm trying to catch it with), but it's impossible to guess when I should start throwing the Premier Balls. Plus, I only have TWO Premier Balls.

As most should know, to acquire a Premier Ball, one must buy ten Poké Balls at any given Poké Mart. When one buys ten, you get an extra one for free, but it comes in the form of the Silver-plated Premier Ball.
This costs 2,000 in Pokémon currency, which is a raher large amount, considering I kinda want to catch this Victini as soon as all possible, and I don't want to go around battling enough trainers to become super-rich and then buy like two hundred Poké Balls to get twenty Premier Balls (which would certainly get the job done) but I simply think it is faster to do it this way.

So, I tried to test how many Poké Balls it took to catch a Victini.

The first test took me about fifteen Poké Balls, and I caught him.

So on my second attempt, naturally I was going to throw fourteen Poké Balls and then finally my Premier Ball.
That didn't happen.

The FIRST Poké Ball I threw at Victini on my second trial captured the Victini. The FIRST ONE.
I didn't understand.

On my third attempt, I began to wonder... Is this working?
Does throwing enough Poké Balls at Victini make it more vulnerable to being captured?
If it does, then I shall continue tossing my Poké Balls and then my Premier Ball.

If it DOESN'T, then I have wasted my time, because I could have just tossed my two Premier Balls right off the bat, and if they didn't work, I would reset.

So... Does it?
Back to top Go down
SkrΑlem

SkrΑlem

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:44 pm

First of all as far as I know lowering a capture rate makes catching a pokemon harder
Second, it isn't any easier throwing multiple pokeballs instead of one (unless of course you use a timer ball). As long as the HP and status remain the same you'll always have the same percentage of catching it. So unless Black/White changed the catching mechanics using your pokeballs is pointless. On a hopefully helpful note You might have caught or seen enough pokemon to get false swipe from Prof. Juniper back at Nuvema town. Not sure if your supposed to catch a bunch of pokemon or see even more but I do know false swipe+ sleep-powder=Victiny
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:52 pm

Yeah I got mixed up on the lower catch rate thing.

And yeah, I think I just might look into the False Swipe thing...
Back to top Go down
SkrΑlem

SkrΑlem

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:55 pm

I think you need to see 25 pokemon BUT I'M NOT AT ALL SURE SO DON'T BLAME ME IF THAT ISN'T IT I CAN'T REMEMBER.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:58 pm

...Er, that's alright, I wouldn't blame you for it...
Besides, if one has made it to the point where they can meet Victini and they HAVEN'T seen 25 Pokémon yet, they aren't a real Pokémon trainer!
Fork Yeah
Back to top Go down
Jefferlope

Jefferlope

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? Catch_formula_1
That's the formula for catching Pokemon. Throwing multiple Pokeballs does nothing.
Back to top Go down
SkrΑlem

SkrΑlem

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 pm

i knew that I just didn't want to write all that.....*prefers just going online using a percentage calculator*
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:36 pm

jefferlope wrote:
Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? Catch_formula_1
That's the formula for catching Pokemon. Throwing multiple Pokeballs does nothing.
Well, there goes half my childhood's mentality down the drain.
I seriously thought that that is how it worked, even back in Gold & Silver.
This ruins everything Sad

Oh well, question answered. I'm gonna get False Swipe, like Skraylem said.
This should make things a little easier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:37 pm

I haven't read anything but the title question; but I believe that there is some sort of randomized system that makes a Pokemon harder or easier to catch from the previous attempt. How else can we explain catching a Pokemon with full health? Why is it able to break free one moment and be completely vulnerable the next? I've had to do it a few times when I'm trying to catch a really low leveled Pokemon. So I wouldn't say that spamming Pokeballs increases any sort of catch rate, I do believe however that it's just really easy to catch at certain points and vise versa.
Back to top Go down
YouOnlySueOnce

YouOnlySueOnce

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Jeff, if you're gonna bulbapedia or wiki or google, do it right :/

Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? Catch_formula_2
Back to top Go down
CaptainOzo

CaptainOzo

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 12:37 pm

You don't really have to use the second formula, since if "a" is 255 or greater, the pokemon is guaranteed to be caught, anything less and you can just calculate the percentage.
Back to top Go down
YouOnlySueOnce

YouOnlySueOnce

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:59 pm

CaptainOzo wrote:
You don't really have to use the second formula, since if "a" is 255 or greater, the pokemon is guaranteed to be caught, anything less and you can just calculate the percentage.
Yeah but he said that's the formula, it's not the complete formula :/
Back to top Go down
SkrΑlem

SkrΑlem

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:37 pm

You guys seriously calculate this stuff, I prefer the get in the reds then paralyze it mindset, with the repetitive pressing of A and B for legendaries.
Back to top Go down
YouOnlySueOnce

YouOnlySueOnce

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Repetitive pressing is not more than a pressure toy.

And sleep > paralyze.
Back to top Go down
SkrΑlem

SkrΑlem

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 pm

yes, but none of my pokemon white guys have yawn or even sleep-powder, so I use that electric tadpoles thunder wave. oh and PRESSING A REALLY FAST IS FUN OK
Back to top Go down
Jefferlope

Jefferlope

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 pm

MaxMatsu wrote:
Jeff, if you're gonna bulbapedia or wiki or google, do it right :/

Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? Catch_formula_2
I was showing Jaco that repeated use of Pokeballs is not a factor.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 pm

I did it! I caught Victini with my first Premier Ball!
...This also means I wasted ¤18,000 in Poké Balls...
Back to top Go down
SkrΑlem

SkrΑlem

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:20 am

You got willpower man, I false swiped forty times, used some other pointless moves then put him to sleep. Needles to say I got him with my first timer ball.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?   Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does repeated use of Poké ball lower catch rate?
Page 1 of 1