Super Marathon Brothers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clicking green buttons for the sake of the world.

HomePortalCalendarWatch us liveFAQLatest imagesSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

What is Steam?

Go down 
+2
DarkKirby702
Kirb
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kirb

Kirb

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Explain yourselves peasants! (And can a non-gaming PC run it without lag?)
Back to top Go down
DarkKirby702

DarkKirby702

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/

It's basically an installable library for PC games.
Which can also be used to add friends, and chat with them.

But, if you don't want to install it, you can make an account and use the web browser version, I'm pretty sure. Which is pretty much the same thing.

As for lag, the program itself shouldn't lag. The games might, of course. depending on your computer.
Back to top Go down
Jefferlope

Jefferlope

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Well look who's finally caved.Fork Yeah

And yeah, Dark explained it pretty well. Think of it as Playstation Network or Xbox Live (or the WiiU thing, I guess), but for PC games. We all mostly use it for chatting, though. There's a mobile app you could chat from too, if you have an Android or iOS thing. You could think of the chat system a bit like Skype. It'll give you a little notification when your friends are online and such, but with game integration so you could see what games your friends are playing and join each other for multiplayer and such.

I don't think there is a browser version, though. Steam itself shouldn't slow your computer much, like Dark said. Games, though, are case by case depending on their requirements, just like any PC game without Steam.

If you do plan on using it for games, Steam constantly has insane sales, so it's a great money saver. For example, I got Borderlands and Fallout 3 for five dollars each, which were both originally 60 bucks at retail. There's a ton of fantastic Indie games on Steam too.

So yeah, does all that make sense?
Back to top Go down
Kirb

Kirb

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Yeah, it makes sense. I sorta figured all that, but it's good to hear from people who use it. I think what I really want is to just download some cool little PC gems when they come around. I heard about this game called Fez, and the only way I can play that without buying a new system is through PC when that comes out. I also sorta miss talking with you all.. I think about you guys all the time actually. I don't know if you guys do the same but yeah. Anyway, I feel like that's the only way to get a hold of you guys nowadays haha. And now with my new laptop, I can do that whenever I have free time.
Back to top Go down
Jefferlope

Jefferlope

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Kirb wrote:
I heard about this game called Fez, and the only way I can play that without buying a new system is through PC when that comes out.
Fez looks incredible. It's one of the few games that makes me wish I had an Xbox. I'll be picking that up when it comes around on PC too.

Kirb wrote:
I also sorta miss talking with you all.. I think about you guys all the time actually. I don't know if you guys do the same but yeah. Anyway, I feel like that's the only way to get a hold of you guys nowadays haha. And now with my new laptop, I can do that whenever I have free time.
D'awww, you didn't forget about us. You'll be happy to know that we've all missed you too. Except Jaco. With you out of the picture, he was able to move up in the ranks. Just kidding, of course!
We're like family!

I can sense a group hug coming on!Evil Grin
Back to top Go down
CoolGreenApple

CoolGreenApple

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 3:32 am

Everything Jeff said.

You're always on my mind, Supa. You and Sneasel (and Max but he's always here)
Back to top Go down
Kirb

Kirb

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 pm

What is Steam? Incredibles

EMBRACE!!!!!!!!

And it's nice to know that the feeling is mutual haha.
Back to top Go down
Tetris

Tetris

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 9:40 am

There needs to be a hug emoticon. The closest we have is this: Fuuu-sion HA! = Big
Back to top Go down
YouOnlySueOnce

YouOnlySueOnce

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 9:57 pm

There was no good emoticon. Also Supa, we talk about you every marathon, I miss someone as hot as you! CGA is all cool and sexy, but there's not hot in here! Even jeff hates warm colors, therefore he hates hot! Also Dark dreams about you; we also miss the podcasts. Just sayin'

Also, steam has the same power usage as Skype or a browser I believe. I don't know which one is a more accurate approximation.
Back to top Go down
CoolGreenApple

CoolGreenApple

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:23 pm

YouOnlySueOnce wrote:
we also miss the podcasts. Just sayin'

Yeah, you ought to be able to run Steam Supa. My computer is not too good and I can run it just fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is Steam? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Steam?   What is Steam? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is Steam?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Super Marathon Brothers! :: Community :: General Discussion-
Jump to: